Net asset value represents management’s estimate of the fair value of the participating shareholders’ equity of the Corporation. Net asset value is the fair value of the assets of the combined Power Financial and Power Corporation’s non-consolidated balance sheet less their net debt and preferred shares. The Corporation’s net asset value per share is presented on a look-through basis.
(1) Investments held by Power Financial have been presented on a look-through basis at December 31, 2019; the corresponding adjustment representing the ownership not held by Power Corporation is included in non-controlling interests.
(2) As part of the Pargesa reorganization, Parjointco holds approximately 90% of Pargesa’s shares at June 30, 2020; the fair value of Parjointco at June 30, 2020 is based on the market value of GBL. At December 31, 2019, the fair value of Parjointco based on the market value of GBL was $3,032 million.
(3) The management companies of the investment funds are presented at their carrying value in accordance with IFRS.
(4) Includes investments in European private equity, formerly Sagard Europe.
(5) Valued at carrying value in accordance with IFRS.
(6) In accordance with IAS 12 Income taxes, no deferred tax liability is recognized with respect to temporary differences associated with investments in subsidiaries and jointly controlled corporations as the Corporation is able to control the timing of the reversal of the temporary differences and it is probable that the temporary differences will not reverse in the foreseeable future. If the Corporation were to dispose of an investment in a subsidiary or a jointly controlled corporation, income taxes payable on such disposition would be minimized through careful and prudent tax planning and structuring, as well as with the use of available tax attributes not otherwise recognized on the balance sheet, including tax losses, tax basis, safe income and foreign tax surplus associated with the subsidiary or jointly controlled corporation.
In determining the fair value of assets, investments in subsidiaries, jointly controlled corporations and associates are adjusted to fair value as follows:
Investments measured at market value and cash represent 88.6% of total assets at fair value at June 30, 2020 (83.9% at December 31, 2019).
For more information on Power Financial's net asset value, click here to visit its website.
The presentation of the investments in subsidiaries, jointly controlled corporations and associates at fair value is not in accordance with IFRS; net asset value is a non-IFRS financial measure. Refer to the "Non-IFRS Measures and Presentation" section of the Corporation's most recent Management's Discussion and Analysis for the definition of non-IFRS financial measures and their reconciliation with IFRS financial measures.